Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Weeping for the Lost

Another book that I am reading is called Breaking the Missional Code by Ed Stetzer & David Putman. The book challenges churches to engage their local communities as missionaries do in foreign countries. A couple of statements in the book have really challenged me and revealed a heart this is overlooking my Jerusalem. Before I share the statements, let me lead up to them.

Our church has recently adopted an unreached people group in India called the Kuvi/Dongaria Khond. Through past ministry opportunities, I've been involved with this people group for about a decade. I've had the privilege of praying for these people and even walking among them on several mission trips, the most recent being this past April.


During our time with the Kuvi/Dongaria Khond (DK) this past spring, our team had a once in a lifetime experience. To our knowledge, there was only one Christian convert among the DK when we made our trip. We had the opportunity of spending quite a bit of time with this enthusiastic and energetic 19 year old boy. We spent three days living in various DK villages. One evening, the entire village gathered with us for a time of singing, dancing, and sharing. After an hour or so of music and dance, the village chief asked to hear about the God of creation. This new convert stood before the village and shared the gospel. My eyes filled with tears as I watched this young man pour his heart out longing to see his people come to faith in Christ. To see the fruit of years of prayer and ministry was absolutely overwhelming. (By the way, since our trip, there are now seven more converts.)

Backing up to the first day after entering India, we met up with an IMB missionary serving in the north working among the Napalese. We asked him to share with us about his ministry and how we could pray for him. As he shared about the Napalese, big tears ran down his cheeks reflecting his deep love for and passion to reach these people.

Now to the statements from the book that have shaken my heart.
The key to breaking the code of a community is to have the heart of the Father for that community. The only way to do that is by spending serious amounts of time with the one who loved Jerusalem deeply enough to weep over it. We must have that same weeping spirit for the lost of our own glocal communities.

Missionaries have know this for centuries: To reach a tribe we must first have a call to reach them, and then have a love for the people. We need to receive God's call and have a love for that group.

I can tell you my heart is tender toward the Kuvi/DK. I have wept for them and I'm not a crier. Yet, when I look at my heart in relation to the lost in my community, the passion meter is barely registering. Sure, I've taken opportunities to share about Christ to the lost, I've ministered to those in need, and I've actively sought out my neighbors to build relationship with them in the hope of leading them to Christ. Yet, my heart doesn't break over the lostness of my community; my eyes don't fill with tears before the Lord as I pray for my community. I care for the lost of my community, but I don't weep for them as Jesus did for Jerusalem. (Luke 19:41)

I'm grateful that the Lord brought this book across my path. Now, by God's grace, I long to see my community with the same eyes I see the Kuvi/DK with.

Father, forgive me for my shortsightedness and sinfulness. Forgive me for my lack of concern for the lost of my community. By Your grace and mercy, ignite a flame in my heart for those around me that need to experience life with Christ. Impassion me with a longing to gather the lost of my community as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings. (Matthew 23:37) Then let me respond to every opportunity that You bring my way by sharing and showing the love of Christ. Let Your word in my heart be like a fire that cannot be held in. (Jeremiah 20:9)