Today I want to close out the trilogy of Paul's "I am" statements found in Romans 1:14-16. Paul begins by saying he is under obligation - he is indebted with the gospel by God for the those who have yet to hear. Secondly, Paul says that he is eager - he is passionate about preaching the gospel to the point that it was ready to boil out of him. In this last "I am," Paul says that he is not ashamed of the gospel.
The Gospel is Central
One thing that is obvious in these three statements is that the gospel is central. Paul is not just indebted to God; he's been indebted with the gospel. Paul is not just eager to share about life as a Christian; he's bursting from the seams to share the full saving message of the gospel. Paul is not just lightly walking in with the gospel; he's full of boldness and inextinguishable fervor for the gospel's sake.
Using the Negative
The first two "I am" are in the positive. This third statement takes the negative approach. Some would say that using a negative adds emphasis. To say to one of my children during a time of correction, "I am not pleased with your behavior or attitude" may tend to give more stress to how I'm feeling than by simply saying, "I am upset with your behavior or attitude." Yet, let's take this a little deeper. What if my children have heard me often speak of my pleasure and joy in their behavior or attitude? For example, "Son, your humble and selfish attitude toward your brother brings great delight and joy to my heart." If my son had experienced me responding to him in this way, the negative statement would have more significance and impact.
I think that may be the reason Paul is using the negative here. He has experienced the temptation of fear, rejection, ridicule, and even persecution. Remember, Paul had been laughed at in Athens, considered a fool in Corinth, called a blasphemer in Jerusalem, stoned in Lystra, and more. In spite of these experiences, Paul was emboldened with the gospel. He is not just saying, "I am proud of the gospel." He is saying "I am not ashamed of the gospel."
Be Not Unashamed
To the unbeliever, the message of the gospel can be unattractive, foolish, offensive, intimidating, and repulsive. Sadly, in many of our churches today, the message of the gospel has been watered down for these same purposes. We sure don't want to offend people or make them feel guilty. I like the way John MacArthur said it in his commentary on Romans, "An inoffensive gospel is also an inoperative gospel." The gospel is hell's enemy. Therefore, Satan is going to do everything in his power to distort the message and paint it in these "bad" terms. Yet, the gospel is "good" news for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes. The gospel is freeing, it is redeeming, it is saving, it is life.
Therefore, I will not be ashamed; I must not be ashamed; I am not ashamed of the gospel.
I will boldly share it and show it. I will unashamedly tell it and testify of it. There is too much at stake for me to be passive or timid. People are not rejecting me, they are responding as those who have been brainwashed by the enemy of God and held captive by his lies and deception. Yet, the gospel is the power or dunamis of God. It is like dynamite that is the only thing able to break down a stone mountain. God's power is glorious, irresistible, unsearchable, might, great, incomparable, strong, everlasting, effectual, and sovereign. "For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 Corinthians 1:18).
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment