Two posts ago I wrote about the centrality of the gospel as outlined in Paul's opening words of his letter to the Romans. Now, in the middle of this first chapter, he tells how this gospel is impacting him
In Romans 1:14-16, Paul shares three "I am" statements to which we can be encouraged. I'll seek to address these statements in my next couple of posts. The first of these is found in verse 14 where he writes, "I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
This phrase "under obligation" comes from the Greek word opheiletes which is used two other times in Romans and seven times altogether in the NT. It literally means one who is indebted to another or one who owes another and is bound to that debt. The root word opheilo means to owe another money or a debt. Thus, Paul could be saying "I am one indebted to you and bound until the debt is paid.
The next question is what does Paul owe the people (the Greeks to barbarians and wise to foolish) in Rome? Paul has never been to Rome. He has yet to meet any of the Roman Christians. There is no record or mention of any money being sent to Paul. So what debt does Paul owe?
There are two ways to be in debt. The type that we all know too well is when someone lends us money that we agree to pay back at another time. As noted above, this doesn't seem to be the kind of debt Paul is carrying. The other type of debt is when someone gives us money to give to someone else. In this case, we are actually indebted to both the giver and receiver until we make the exchange. In a sense, it is a double debt and responsibility. This is most likely the debt Paul is referring to.
God has given Paul the gift of the gospel unto salvation. Though he has partaken of it himself, he has been charged to give it to others. In this verse, we sense a desperate desire, an urgency, and an overwhelming obligation to deliver this gospel message to those in Rome.
God has also charged us with this responsibility and obligation. Here I must confess my sinfulness in the neglect of delivering this gift with the urgency and significance that it demands. First of all, I'm indebted to God. He has entrusted me with this priceless gift. I must make the delivery. I must not waste another breath. Secondly, I'm indebted to the lost. They are waiting to receive it. Without it, they will perish. Failure to carry out my responsibility has tragic consequences. Therefore, I am under obligation and will passionately complete my task.
There are numerous applications that can be made from this little passage, but let me outline just a few:
First, everything that we have is a gift from God. Not only is it all a gift, but it is also all meant to be passed on to others for His glory and the expansion of His kingdom. But how can everything we have be passed on to others? Case in point, how can you pass your children on to others? To this, I still say "yes" they have been entrusted to us to pass on to others. I have been blessed by God with three children. They are a gracious gift to Angela and me from the Father. We have been entrusted to pour Christ and His Word into their lives not that we would just have a wonderful family. It's much bigger than that. We seek to do that because God's glory is at stake. We want God to be represented well and reflected well through the lives of our children. We want their lives to impact other lives for His name's sake and the advancement of His kingdom throughout every nation. We want our children to impact their generation for Christ, to be involved in reaching the nations for Christ, and to multiply themselves as they make disciples of all the nations. God didn't give us our children so that we would be blessed and could enjoy their relationship. Those things are just bonuses. We are indebted to God to pass them on for His greater purposes and glory.
Second, this same principle applies to everything that we have materially. Our home has been given to us to pass on to others for His greater purposes and glory. All of our things and "wealth" belong to Him for others.
Thirdly, there is an obvious evangelistic and missional calling with this truth. It is the gospel that has been entrusted with. Yes, just like our relationship and possessions, we enjoy the benefits of them. But all of it is not for our selfish blessings. The world needs this "good news." It is God's plan - there is no other way. He has indebted us with the gospel and we must share it with our neighbor, our community, our state, our nation, and our world; particularly where it has yet to be proclaimed.
Father, forgive me for my silence and selfishness. You have entrusted me with something very costly, priceless. I am indebted to You and to those You have called to receive it. By Your grace, I will not be silent or selfish anymore. I seek to be faithful and not rest until my obligation is fulfilled.
Sunday, January 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment