Monday, July 24, 2006

Treasure Seekers

The number one movie over the past couple of weeks has been the second installment of "Pirates of the Caribbean." Almost every character in the movie is after a treasure chest containing a special object. Well, how can you have a pirate move without a treasure chest; they just go together.

For the past couple of years I've been involved in a sport or hobby called geocaching. In short, people hide various sized containers and log them by there longitude and latitude coordinates. With a handheld GPS unit, you can download or manually input these coordinates into the unit and then head off to try to find the containers. These containers can be as large as a five gallon bucket or as small as a film canister or even smaller. Presently, there are over 290,000 containers or caches hidden in over 220 countries.

I love the sport. At present, I've found 256 caches and can hardly wait for the next opportunity to get out and hunt for more. I've even put out seven caches myself. I think what I enjoy the most about it is the thrill of treasure hunting. Now there really is no significant treasure in these caches; usually they contain some small toys and trinkets. If you take something out, you are supposed to put something in to keep it even. My boys enjoy the contents while I just enjoy the find.

In my last blog, I shared about treasuring the Lord. He has chosen us and claimed us as His treasured possession. In the same way, I want Him to be the most valued treasure in my life; I want Him to be my Treasure. The Bible speaks about finding treasure.
But if from there you seek the Lord you God, you will find Him if you look for Him with all your heart and with all your soul. (Deut. 4:29)

You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart. (Jer. 29:13)

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. (Matt. 7:7)

These verses are filled with hope for the believer. They remind us that God is never far off even when we feel alone or abandoned. The verse in Jeremiah was given to God's people when they were in Babylonian exile. God said He would fulfill His promise to bring them back to Jerusalem. He reminded them that He had plans to prosper them, not to harm them, and to give them hope and a future. I often need this reminder too.

As I soak in these three specific passages of Scripture, three specific truths come to the forefront for me.

1. God revels in being found. The first two passages actually speak of His covenant relationship with His people. Even when God had to respond in judgment to the Israelites and scatter them throughout the nations or exile them into captivity, He still offered to be found and restored relationally.

I remember playing hide-and-seek with my boys when they were young. I would often hide in such a way that they would find me easily, like hiding behind the curtains with my feet sticking out the bottom. Why would I let my feet hang out the bottom of the curtains? Because I loved it when they found me. I loved hearing the excitement in their voices when they spotted me. I loved seeing the joy in their eyes and faces when after they touched me, I would jump out and grab them up in my arms saying, "You found me." We would tumble around on the floor laughing and connecting heart-to-heart.

God can be found. Like a father with his children, God wants to be found.

2. God requires "full-throttle" seeking. God said that He would be found by looking for Him with all of our hearts and souls. God wants all of us. Our relationship with Him must be one of priority and preeminence otherwise our search will be casual. If I drop $5 in the park, I would probably go back over my path and give a quick search. Now if I drop my wedding ring, I would give it an all out search. I might even get out the metal detectors to help me with my search. Why? Because there is much greater value in the ring. Because of the significance and value I place upon God, I seek Him with everything I have.

3. God responds in grace. God pours out His unmerited love by giving according to my requests, by allowing me to find Him, and by opening the door upon which I knock. God would be justified in never responding to me or allowing me to find Him. Yet through the blood of Christ, I'm given hope and assurance and promise. When I seek Him with all of my heart and soul, I know that He will be found.

Let's be treasure seekers today.

No comments: