The next question is, "What are the things above that I set my mind to?" Chapter 3 of Colossians goes on to outline earthly things such as sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, greed, anger, rage, malice, slander, filthy language, and lying (Colossians 3:5-9). In his letter to the Galatians, Paul decribes the fruit of flesh:
The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. (Galatians 5:19-21)
The obvious answer to the question is that we are to set our minds upon the opposite of these things. Paul goes on to tell us that we are to clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, forebearance, and forgiveness (Colossians 3:12-14). He tells us that a life lived in submission to the Spirit bears the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).
In his concluding exhortation to the Philippian church, Paul writes:
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praisworthy - think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)
Wow, you put all of these together and you have quite a list. My mind is to be set, focused, and consumed with these things. Yet, how in my own strength am I supposed to fix my mind on these things? Without the guiding hand of God, how do I even know what is true? Without the grace of God, how do I discern what is lovely? Without the Prince of Peace intervening, how does peace consume my thoughts and actions? I don't, I can't, and it doesn't!
For you see, Christ is the very being and definition of all things above. The things that are true - Jesus is the Truth (John 14:6). The things that are noble or honoring - Christ alone is crowned with glory and honor (Hebrews 2:7-9). Things that are righteous - Christ has become our righteousness (1 Corinthians 1:30). Things that are pure - Jesus is the purest of sacrifices (Hebrews 7:26-27). The same is true with the fruit of the Spirit. God is that fruit. To bear the fruit of the Spirit is to blossom with the very nature of God.
I keep coming back to the same place as I rest in these passages and others - to truly live, I must die. For in dying, Christ flows and pours forth in my living. My thoughts, my emotions, my words, my actions, and my all, brilliantly reveal the things above which are ultimately my God and my Savior.
Father, I am humbled as I bow at the foot of the cross realizing my position in Christ through His death and resurrection. By Your grace and mercy, I have been crucified with Him. Now, I no longer live, but Christ lives in me so that I may now live for Him and for Your glory. May You alone receive ceaseless worship.
No comments:
Post a Comment