One notableble contribution of Kierkegaard was his idea of worship as drama. In drama there are three distinct parts: actors, prompters, and audience. He said that worship is much like a drama with these three parts. Too often the worship leaders were the actors, God was the prompter, and the congregation was the audience. He argued that there should be a redefining of roles to which the worship leaders become the prompters, the congregation becomes the actors, and God becomes the audience.
There is much truth to this idea. Often in our churches today, the congestionion is simply an audience coming to sit and receive or even more sadly to be entertained by the professional worship leaders and pastors who have a special instructional relationship with God. Thus, the congregation can sit idly and watch the religious performers do their thing.
In true worship, the worship leaders and pastors should simply be the prompters of worship while the congregation is the major participant of worship for the audience of one - God.
I agree with this idea whole-heartily and see my role as a worship leader as both a prompter of worship, but more importantly a participant of worship with the congregation. Yet, as I've thought about worship more and more, I've begun to see worship as drama a little differently.
Worship is sometimes defined as ascribing worth to God or "worthship." I believe that worship is nothing more than our response to who God is and what He has done. God is a holy and so I respond with bowing and confession. God is merciful and gracious so I respond with humbleness and thanksgiving. God is loving so I respond with joy and adoration. God is great and awesome so I respond with fear and reverence. God is victorious so I respond with shouts and celebration. Jesus died upon a cross so I respond with tearful repentance. Jesus rose from the dead so I respond with triumphant praise. Jesus sits enthroned in majesty so I cast my crowns before Him. Jesus has been given the name above all names so I bow to my knees in humble confession of His lordship.
I could go on and on. We respond to His name, His character, His works, His will, ... His all. Therefore, the more I know and experience Him, the more I worship Him. So if worship is my response to who God is and what He has done, then God takes the initiative. God reveals Himself and I respond in worship. God reveals Himself through His Word, through prayer, and through His sovereign guidance in circumstances and then I praise, adore, give thanks, confess, and more. Therefore, God is not only the audience, He is also the prompter of my worship.
As I consider my role in worship, I realize that in my weakness, I cannot engage in the act of worship without His participation. In his letter to the Romans, Paul expressed this dilemma in reference to prayer. He said that in our weakness, we don't know what to pray for. Yet the Spirit of God, who lives in us (1 Cor. 6:19), helps us in our weakness and intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. The Holy Spirit prays for us in accordance with God's will (Rom. 8:26-27). Without the Spirit of God living and working in my life, my prayers and my worship are centered upon me. My prayers become focused upon my wants and my will as opposed to God's desires and will. My worship becomes focused upon my likes and preferences as opposed to God's character and glory. Therefore, God is not only the audience and prompter, He is also the actor.
So if God is the audience, the prompter, and the actor in worship, where do I fit in? The answer is grace alone. My position as a worshiper is an act of God's saving grace. My participation as a worshiper is an act of God's empowering grace. So, let me bring all of this together in the following definition of worship: worship is ascribing worth to God by grace in response to who He is and what He has done.
Worship is
ascribing worth to God
by grace
in response to
who He is and
what He has done.
No comments:
Post a Comment