Saturday, February 17, 2007

A Reflection of Psalm 19

This Psalm seems to divide naturally into three sections with the last one (vs. 12-14) being voiced as a confession flowing out of the preceding two. The first section focuses on God’s general revelation through nature (vs. 1-6) and the second section focuses on God’s special revelation through Scripture (vs. 7-11). I will share my personal insights and applications based upon these three sections.

Declarational
At times I feel like we have given too much attention to the theme of God’s glory. With the influence of John Piper, this theme has echoed loudly in our churches and in our hearts. In a sense, it has been somewhat of a course correction as we may have swung a little too close to a man-centered theology or at minimum a man-centered emphasis. Returning to the preeminence of God’s glory keeps us in our proper place in comparison to the magnificence of God. As I reflected upon this first section, I have been reminded that I actually cannot give too much attention to the theme of God’s glory. In fact, I have a responsibility to declare the glory of God and to proclaim His handiwork. The heavens and the sky never cease to display the significance of God. The sun faithfully and joyfully exhibits God’s brilliance from horizon to horizon so that nothing is hidden from its influence. In the same way, I must earnestly and eagerly share and show the significance of my God. From the morning’s rise to the evening’s retirement, I must speak of and point people to God’s glory. Just as the sun is created to shine and pour forth heat, I have been created to reflect the image of God in my life and speech.

Incaranational
Not only does creation reflect God, His inspired Word mirrors His character and nature. The adjectives outlined in this second section are beautiful pictures: perfect, sure, right, radiant, pure, true, and righteous. I realize that there is a distinction between God and His Word, yet the two are intrinsically interrelated. Jesus Himself is referred to as the Word or the very speech of God in John’s gospel. To describe the law of the Lord with the above adjectives is to describe the very essence of God. He is perfect, trustworthy, pure, and true. Just as His Word is sure, radiant, and righteous, so is God. To seek after God and to treasure Him as for the finest of gold is the highest prize for the believer. Moreover, this seeking and finding is filled with reward and blessing. God’s Word revives the soul, makes wise the simple, rejoices the heart, enlightens the eyes, and warns the servant. Keeping the law of the Lord is not just reward; it is great reward.

Confessional
The third section reminded me of Isaiah when he saw the Lord high and exalted and realized his unworthiness and uncleanliness before the Almighty. Likewise, my heart has been pierced as I have contemplated upon the awesomeness of God’s glory and Word. Just as David cried out in mercy to God for his hidden and willful sins, I too, must humbly bow before the glorious, perfect, and righteous God seeking forgiveness for great transgression. I fully submit to God’s mercy and grace so that the words of my mouth and meditation of my heart would be an acceptable and continual offering of praise and worship for the glory of God. Yes, I have now come full circle. My earnest desire is for His glory to be declarational, incarnational, and confessional in my life.

No comments: